Croatian Rom-Com Tops 'Rise of the Guardians' in Local Box Office
"Sonja and the Bull" from director Vlatka Vorkapic is about an animal rights activist who opposes bullfighting.
In a rare success story for Central European cinema, the Croatian romantic comedy Sonja and the Bull has topped the local box office, coming in ahead of big-budget competitors Rise of the Guardians and Cloud Atlas in its second week of release.
The feature, from director Vlatka Vorkapic, is the story of the vegetarian and animal rights activist Sonja (Judita Frankovic), who protests traditional bullfighting but faces a challenge when the persuasive Ante (Goran Bogdan) dares her to prove her love for animals by standing in front of a bull.
Sonja and the Bull scored the best opening for a local film in 12 years in Croatia, bowing to $52 thousand (€40 thousand) on its opening weekend. In its second week in release, distributor Duplicato pulled in $74 thousand (€56.5 thousand), enough to claim the number one slot at the Croatian box office.
The tiny nation of 4.2 million inhabitants is hoping to continue its local-language winning streak with the release of two more Croatian titles early next year. The comedy Priest's Children from director Vinko Bresan (Marshal Tito's Spirit) bows January 3 and children's film Mysterious Boy, the sequel to this year's hit Koko and the Ghosts, which earned nearly $300,000 locally, goes out in early March.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!