Rob Minkoff sets sail for 'Chinese Odyssey'
3D action-adventure fantasy to film mostly on location
Rob Minkoff may be heading back to China.
The "Forbidden Kingdom" helmer is attached to direct the 3D English-language action-adventure fantasy "Chinese Odyssey." Minkoff and Pietro Ventani will produce through their new Tiger 62 Media shingle, in partnership with the China Film Group and Beijing Galloping Horse Film & TV.
" 'Chinese Odyssey' is a supernatural high-seas adventure that pits our hero against an onslaught of deadly foes on the path to fulfilling his destiny," Minkoff said. "It's a story involving ancient mysteries, deadly sea monsters, great characters and larger-than-life adventures, which all make for a fantastic cinematic experience. The opportunity to film again in China is an added thrill."
Filming primarily on location in China, "Odyssey" is the first major feature film developed with Chinese financing.
Added Ventani: "Although our hero is very familiar to Asian audiences, he is less known in the West. Our intention is to launch the property as a major franchise for the international marketplace."
The CAA-repped Minkoff co-directed "The Lion King" and directed "Stuart Little," its sequel and "The Haunted Mansion."
The China Film Group Film Production Corp. produced John Woo's "The Battle of Red Cliff," Lu Chuan's "Nanjing, Nanjing" and Ning Hao's upcoming "No Man's Land." Galloping Horse Film and TV Prods. recently produced "Another Pandora's Box."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR