Robert De Niro 'Surprised' by Oscar Nomination Dry Spell (Video)
The press-shy "Silver Linings Playbook" star, up for his first Academy Award in 21 years, gives a rare interview to CBS.
Robert De Niro says he's "surprised" how much time has passed between Oscar nominations.
In a rare interview with CBS' Sunday Morning, which aired at 6 a.m. ET instead of 9 a.m. because of Super Bowl coverage, the movie legend discussed his supporting-actor nom for Silver Linings Playbook. It's his first in 21 years, since 1991, when he was nominated as best actor for Cape Fear.
"Does this one mean anything more, because it's been so long since you've gotten a nomination?" asked the network's Lee Cowan.
De Niro's response: "No, actually, I was surprised that it was so long. I can account for all the things and all the time, and everything, but there it is. It's like, so many years ago."
De Niro, 69, has won two trophies for his lead role in 1980's Raging Bull and supporting turn in 1974's The Godfather Part II.
He discussed those roles in his Sunday Morning sitdown as well as his trademark shyness.
Watch the vldeo below.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Finds Wrestler Died Of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Final Trailer For 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past Is A Traveler Of Both Time & Space
- A Conversation with The Both's Aimee Mann & Ted Leo, Plus A Quick Chat with Dolly Parton
- 'True Detective' Meets 'The Family Circus' Is Pure Evil Genius
- Brant Daugherty & Ian Harding Support a Good Cause at the Road To Hope Charity Benefit!
- Leonardo DiCaprio Wrestles a Friend at Coachella & Loses Badly (Video)
- Lily Aldridge's Toned Tummy is Why You Should Hit the Gym Now!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Change Outfits for Australia Arrival with Prince George!