Roger Ebert: I Didn't Know I'd Never Be Able to Speak Again (Video)
When the movie critic was left unable to talk or eat after losing his lower jaw to cancer, "I felt awful, but I had to accept reality," he says.
Roger Ebert says he had no warning that he would be left unable to speak after losing his lower jaw to thyroid and salivary gland cancer.
"There was never a time when anyone told me I'd never be able to speak again," the movie critic told Today's Natalie Morales. "Naturally, I felt awful, but I had to accept reality."
Ebert now talks with the aid of a computer; he types what he wants to say, and a digital voice reads the text. But that's the not only way his life has changed.
"I was always extroverted," he said. "Now I am forced to live more within my mind."
Still, Ebert has been able to continue doing what he loves. He still travels to film festival, attends at least five screenings a week and still writes reviews as well as a blog for his longtime employer, the Chicago Sun-Times. He also produces the show Ebert Presents: At the Movies with wife Chaz and has a new memoir, Life Itself, out this week.
Ebert became a household name thanks to his long-running movie-review show with Gene Siskel, Siskel & Ebert and the Movies. Siskel died in 1999, three years before Ebert was diagnosed with cancer.
Asked what Siskel might say if he were still alive, Ebert replied: "He would have been wholehearted in my corner through these troubles. Although we argued almost as a way of live, we shared a deep understanding of one another. He would also have continued to make jokes about me. 'Well, at least you don't need a bookmark anymore to find your chin.'"
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!