Relativity Media, Ron Burkle Launch Sports Division
The agency will rep athletes, coaches and broadcasters, combining the operations of three existing companies.
Relativity Media has joined with Ron Burkle’s Yucaipa Companies to launch Relativity Sports to represent athletes, coaches and broadcasters including Amar’e Stoudemire, Mariano Rivera, Justin Verlander, David Ortiz, Justin Morneau and Alfonso Soriano.
The newly formed agency is absorbing the existing businesses of SFX Baseball, Maximum Sports Management (football) and Rogue Sports (basketball).
“Relativity Sports serves as a perfect launching pad for us to continue to grow our entertainment business,” Relativity CEO said Ryan Kavanaugh said in a statement. "This alliance offers athletes turnkey access to a true merger of sports and entertainment. In addition to their careers in professional sports, we can offer athletes opportunities in film, television, music and gaming.”
Said Burkle, managing partner of The Yucaipa Companies, “This partnership marks a new evolution in sports agencies, and we couldn’t be more pleased to help open new platforms to the world’s best athletes.”
According to Happy Walters, co-COO of Relativity Media, who will oversee the new entity, “Relativity Sports will utilize its marketing relationships with global brands and studio assets to offer athletes unique access not available at other agencies.”
Other players who will be represented by the company include Miguel Cabrera, Larry Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, Ndamukong Suh, Devin Hester and Steven Jackson.
Relativity, which has expanded into a full-service theatrical distributor and also has a strong presence in reality television, laid the groundwork for the new sports division in 2012 when it merged its Rogue Sports division with Maximum Sports Management and SFX Baseball. Maximum was started 20 years ago by Eugene Parker and Roosevelt Barnes.
Burkle and his Yucaipa Companies began a relationship last year with Relativity and earlier this year became major investors in the company by buying out most of the equity held by a previous investor.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David