Ron Meyer: Candor-o-Meter
The town's abuzz over the Universal chief's quotes about "shitty" movies, Cowboys & Aliens and Comcast at the Savannah Film Festival.
On his recent box-office bombs: "Cowboys & Aliens wasn't good enough. Forget all the smart people involved in it; it wasn't good enough. All those little creatures bouncing around were crappy. I think it was a mediocre movie, and we all did a mediocre job with it." ... "Land of the Lost was just crap. I mean, there was no excuse for it."
On the studio's last best picture Oscar winner: "I don't know that we'd do A Beautiful Mind again. ... It's great to win awards and make films that you're proud of and make money, but your first obligation is to make money and then worry about being proud of what you do."
On visits from his corporate superiors at Comcast: "I say when they come to town, I dress the place up to look like a movie studio. I bring all the Winnebagos to the front; I have people pushing sets around, like one of those old Cecil B. DeMille movies. So they come for two days every two, three months, and we look like we're a bustling metropolis, and then we go back to being a regular old business."
On his high points: "Wolfman and Babe 2 are two of the shittiest movies we put out, but by the same token we made movies we believe in. We did United 93 ... it wasn't a big moneymaker, but it's a film I believe every American should see. ... So there are moments that can make up for all the junk that you make."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR