Ronni Chasen Lawsuit: Beverly Hills City, Police Request Judge's Removal
In a brief court filing Monday, the city and its police department argue that Judge Robert H. O'Brien is "prejudiced" against them as he deliberates a public records access suit filed by documentary filmmaker Ryan Katzenbach.
The city of Beverly Hills and the Beverly Hills Police Department have filed a motion to remove the judge considering whether to force them to make public the homicide investigation file of publicist Ronni Chasen.
The filing comes just days after the L.A. County Coroner's Office released Chasen's autopsy Thursday, more than three years after she was gunned down while driving through Beverly Hills. That document was finally made public to settle part of a lawsuit filed by filmmaker Ryan Katzenbach, who's investigating the killing for a documentary called 6:38: The Death of Ronni Chasen. (An Indiegogo financing campaign is currently underway.)
RELATED: Read the filing here.
The filing calls judge Robert H. O'Brien "prejudiced" and notes that "the Defendant City cannot have a fair and impartial trial" before him, but no specific reasons are given. The attorney who filed the motion has not yet responded to THR's request for further comment.
O'Brien is used to high-profile cases. He received national attention last month when he ordered a Sriracha hot sauce plant in Irwindale, California, to shut down after neighbors of Huy Fong Foods complained of inflamed asthma, heartburn and other ailments due to the spicy odor emanating from the operation.
More to come.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer Addresses Sexual Abuse Allegations: They Are 'Outrageous' & 'Completely False'
- Elizabeth Banks Attends Screening for 'Walk of Shame', Wears Two Dresses!
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!