Rose Bowl ratings up from last year
Non-championship, one-sided game sees 5% increase
NEW YORK -- Thursday's Rose Bowl game may not have done much for Penn State, but it was a winner for Southern California and ABC.
The game scored an 11.7 fast national rating, up 5% from last year's 11.1, according to Nielsen. It wasn't anywhere near the 2006 Rose Bowl, where the Texas-Southern California game scored a record 21.7 rating.
But that record was for a close game, which Texas won 41-38, and it was the BCS championship that year. The 2009 Rose Bowl wasn't the championship and it wasn't very close: Southern California romped over Penn State, 38-24. The 2008 game also featured Southern California, which handily beat Illinois 49-17.
Thursday's game went into 15 minutes of primetime on the East Coast, averaging an 11.1/18 in the metered markets. It was the night's top primetime segment.
Final ratings will be released later in the week.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!