Rose Byrne in Talks for 'Annie'
The actress would be the fourth to sign on to the big-screen update, after Quvenzhane Wallis, Jamie Foxx and Cameron Diaz.
Rose Byrne is circling Sony's star-studded remake of Annie, sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.
The Bridesmaids star would take on the role of Grace, dutiful assistant to Jamie Foxx's Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks character (here called Benjamin Stacks), the rich New York financier who takes in the titlular orphan, played in the adaptation by Quvenzhane Wallis.
Cameron Diaz has signed on to play Miss Hannigan, the story's villainous orphanage matron.
Based on the Great Depression-era comic strip, the Jay-Z- and Will Smith-produced update of the iconic Broadway musical is set in modern times.
Will Gluck is directing the project. Other producers include Smith's Overbrook Entertainment partners James Lassiter and Jada Pinkett-Smith as well as Jay Brown and Tyran “Ty Ty” Smith of Marcy Media.
The movie is due for a Christmas Day 2014 release, slated to open directly opposite Disney's big-budget adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's Into the Woods.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR