Rose lands 'Agency' role
"Dreamgirls" co-star Anika Noni Rose has joined Jill Scott in Anthony Minghella's adaptation of Alexander McCall Smith's novel "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency."
Rose is set to play the role of Grace Makutsi, the secretary/assistant detective to Precious Ramotswe (Scott), who owns a Botswana-based detective agency run by women. Lucian Msamati also is set to play Ramotswe's fiancee in the film.
"Agency" is being produced by the Weinstein Co. and Mirage Prods., the production company run by Minghella and Sydney Pollack. Minghella is directing from a script he wrote with Richard Curtis.
It's likely that a TV series based on "Agency" will follow the movie, but no deals are in place.
Rose, a Tony winner in 2004 for her role in the Broadway musical "Caroline, or Change," is on the small screen in USA Network's limited series "The Starter Wife" and next appears in the film "One Part Sugar" opposite Danny DeVito. She also recently signed on to voice Princess Tiana in the Walt Disney Co.'s musical animated feature "The Princess and the Frog" (HR 5/24).
Rose is repped by WMA and David Williams of David Williams Management Llc.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR