Royal Baby: ITV Won Right to Ask Royal Couple First Question After Coin Toss
Royals correspondent Tim Ewart spoke with Prince William and Kate Middleton first when they left a London hospital with their newborn son.
LONDON — With the world's media eagerly waiting for Kate Middleton, Prince William and their newborn son to leave a hospital in West London Tuesday evening local time, how did U.K. TV correspondents decide who would get the first question in? They flipped a coin.
ITV News royal correspondent Tim Ewart, a veteran of the royals beat who also covered the couple, their wedding and their romance before that, was the winner. He mentioned his luck live on television Tuesday night.
As the world waited for the royal couple to emerge Tuesday evening with their baby boy, Ewart told ITV viewers that he had won the "right” to ask the couple the first question after a coin toss competition. He didn't detail who was all involved in the coin tossing beyond the BBC and ITV.
A spokeswoman for ITV News later confirmed the coin toss and said it involved BBC News, ITV News and Sky News.
“I’m not sure everyone will stand by the result,” Ewart added on air, pointing out that there were also a lot of TV crews from all around the world waiting for the big moment.
Ewart ended up getting the first two questions for the royals in. As the royal couple left the hospital, he asked them about the family addition and how they felt. Prince William said "Hi Tim" before answering the first question. Ewart then asked a follow-up question.
The ITV correspondent didn’t seem too remorseful, but did apologize to his fellow correspondents on air later, saying his journalistic instincts had taken over.
Georg Szalai in London contributed to this report.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!