Royal Baby: Kate Middleton Gives Birth to Boy
UPDATED: After going into labor early Monday, the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William have welcomed their first child.
LONDON – Kate Middleton has given birth to an 8-pound, 6-ounce boy, the British royals announced late Monday.
The Duke of Cambridge was present for the birth, which occurred at 4:24 p.m.
The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Harry and members of both families have been informed and are delighted with the news.
Her Royal Highness and her child are doing well and will remain in the hospital overnight.
"We could not be happier," Prince William said in a brief statement issued late Monday night. And TV networks quoted a Buckingham Palace spokesman as saying: "The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh (Prince Philip) are delighted at the news."
The BBC interrupted its programming on BBC One during Panorama. Commercial network ITV did not interrupt its regular soap opera Coronation Street with the announcement.
In the U.S., ABC and NBC broke into programming to announce the news, while Fox and CBS did not.
In line with royal tradition, the announcement was not made until after Queen Elizabeth II had been informed about the baby's birth.
Kensington Palace issued a news release containing the details about the royal baby shortly before the formal bulletin left the hospital to be displayed on an easel outside of Buckingham Palace, ITV News reported.
ITV reported that the baby's name would be announced "in due course." No further details were provided.
The palace had announced early Monday that Middleton had gone into the early stages of labor. She arrived at St. Mary's Hospital in Paddington, London, with Prince William around 6 a.m.
Details of Prince William's own birth 31 years ago had been shared with the world the same way.
U.K. TV commentators on Monday had discussed the process, acknowledging that it may seem old-fashioned in the age of Twitter.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!