Royal Baby: Twitter Lights Up as Kate Middleton, Prince William Reveal Name
U.K. news networks also report the latest news after bookies had listed George and James as favorite name options for the royal couple's first child.
LONDON -- Twitter lit up again Wednesday as Kate Middleton and Prince William revealed the name of their first child: George Alexander Louis.
U.K. news networks BBC News and Sky News reported the naming announcement quickly as part of their ongoing royal baby coverage at around 6:20 p.m. local time.
In a brief statement, the royals announced the name, with people on social media commenting almost immediately.
Bookies had listed George, James and Philip as favorite name options for the royal couple's first child.
"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted to announce that they have named their son George Alexander Louis," the statement from Kensington Palace said. "The baby will be known as His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge."
In the past, many royal babies have had four names instead of three. George is a name that has a long tradition in the British royal houses and is the 12th most popular name in the U.K. Alexander was believed to have been a favorite of Middleton's. Louis is Prince William's fourth name.
The child, born here on Monday afternoon, is the royal couple's first. He is now third in line to the British throne behind Prince Charles and Prince William.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)