Royal Baby: Twitter Activity Peaked at 25,300 Tweets Per Minute on Monday
News of the birth of Kate Middleton's and Prince William's son drew more than 2 million mentions on the social media platform late in the London evening hours.
LONDON -- The royal baby boosted Twitter activity on Monday as the social media platform said that at its peak the topic drew 25,300 tweets per minute.
The peak in global conversation on Twitter came at 8:37 p.m. London time, in the minutes following the announcement of the baby’s birth.
Between then and late Monday, there were more than 2 million mentions of the news on Twitter, the company's U.K. blog said.
The company didn't immediately say how many U.K. tweets per minute the baby attracted. But the total number of tweets per minute failed to come in near a 120,000 U.K. tweets-per-minute peak record recently set by the Wimbledon victory of Andy Murray.
Well-wishers used such hashtags as #RoyalBaby, #RoyalBabyBoy and #RoyalBabyWatch.
Since Middleton was admitted to hospital early Monday with Prince William by her side, the hashtag #RoyalBaby alone had been used more than 900,000 times on Twitter by Monday night, according to the company's blog.
Tweets about the news were sent from across the globe, with the highest volume coming from the U.S., the U.K., Canada, France and Italy, according to Twitter.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10