'Royal Pains'' Mark Feuerstein Joins the Ranks of TV Stars Turned Directors
"I think this is a natural extension for anyone who has the wherewithal and is passionate about storytelling," the actor says.
When Royal Pains actor Mark Feuerstein took his seat in the director's chair Aug. 31, he joined a growing roster of TV stars moving behind the camera.
The practice has become increasingly prominent as stars including Mad Men's Jon Hamm, Chuck's Zachary Levi and Grey's Anatomy's Kevin McKidd have taken directorial turns. It's a particularly popular strategy at USA Network, where everyone from Burn Notice's Jeffrey Donovan to White Collar's Tim DeKay to Psych's James Roday has directed at least one episode of their respective shows. (Roday has three under his belt, with another two forthcoming; Donovan got an additional director credit on the series' prequel film.)
"Who knows these shows better than they do?" says USA senior vp original scripted programming Bill McGoldrick.
The network frequently waits until a show is a few seasons in before granting the opportunity to its stars. Says Feuerstein, who is helming the 13th episode of Pains' third season, "I think this is a natural extension for anyone who has the wherewithal and is passionate about storytelling."
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofía Vergara Reveals Who She Dresses Up For (VIDEO)
- Before The Beat Drops: Heavy English's 'Black Dog' Brings Back Gritty, Bluesy Rock 'N' Roll
- Watch The First Promo For Fox's Controversial New Reality Dating Show 'I Wanna Marry Harry'
- Chelsea Handler Breaks Silence On That Infamous Instagram Photo And Why Network TV Isn't For Her
- Did You Catch the Coen Brothers Easter Egg in Fargo?
- Julie Klausner Talks to Billy Eichner About Billy on the Street, Mayim Bialik, and Getting Fuse to Agree to ‘Ask a Squirter’
- Watch Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, and NBA Stars Live-Read Space Jam
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues