RTL CBS Asia Entertainment Network Venture Names Jonas Engwall CEO
CBS Studios International and European broadcast giant RTL will launch two channels in 29 Asian markets.
BERLIN – Swedish executive Jonas Engwell has been named the new CEO of RTL CBS Asia Entertainment Network, the joint venture between CBS Studios International and pan-European broadcaster RTL targeting the Asian market.
Engwall, who joined RTL Group from Sweden’s Modern Times Group more than five years ago, will be based in Singapore in his new job. He will oversee the launch of two branded RTL CBS thematic channels -- RTL CBS Entertainment HD and RTL CBS Extreme HD -- in up to 29 Asian markets including Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
The channels will combine programming from CBS -- such as hit series Under The Dome and Elementary -- with that of RTL, including formats America’s Got Talent, Fear Factor and The X Factor USA from RTL production subsidiary FremantleMedia.
“This is an unprecedented partnership between two leading global broadcasters in a region with huge growth potential,” said Engwell, adding he was confident the channels “would prove extremely popular across our footprint and represent a highly valuable proposition for all our partners.”
For the past three years, Engwell has led RTL’s expansion into India and Asia, which included the launch of RTL’s Indian channel, Big RTL Thrill, last year.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR