Rupert Murdoch Attacks Tom Cruise, Calls Scientology 'Creepy, Maybe Even Evil'
The News Corp. chief executive hit Twitter to comment on Cruise and Katie Holmes' divorce, calling Scientology a "very weird cult" where he believes the actor is "number two or three in the hierarchy."
When Hollywood power couples break up, it seems everyone has an opinion. But when Katie Holmes announced she is divorcing from couch-jumping, "I-love-this-woman!" Scientology member Tom Cruise, none other than Rupert Murdoch, News Corp.'s chief executive, opted to give his two cents.
"Scientology back in news. Very weird cult, but big, big money involved with Tom Cruise either number two or three in hierarchy," the octogenarian tweeted Sunday morning.
Princess Diana biographer Andrew Morton wrote an unauthorized biography of Cruise in 2008, alleging the Mission: Impossible actor had become the de facto second in command of the Church of Scientology. The controversial book attacked the star by comparing his daughter with Holmes, Suri, to the devil's child in the cult film Rosemary's Baby.
He continued: "Watch Katie Holmes and Scientology story develop. Something creepy, maybe even evil, about these people."
When one of Murdoch's followers asked the mogul's thoughts on Mormons, he responded, "Mormonism a mystery to me, but Mormons certainly not evil."
Countless people, both pro- and anti-Murdoch and his views, reacted to his comments. But the octogenarian is standing by his words.
"Since Scientology tweet hundreds of attacks," Murdoch wrote, "expect they will increase and get worse and maybe threatening. Still stick to my story."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack