Russell Simmons: Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan Will 'Destroy Poor America'
Writing on his website Global Grind, the music legend rips into the GOP ticket for its conservative economic proposals.
Russell Simmons has long been an active liberal and outspoken supporter of President Obama, and following GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney's selection of Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan as his running mate, Uncle Rush is doubling down on his efforts to re-elect the president.
Writing on his site Global Grind, Simmons blasted the Republican duo as aiming to "destroy poor America."
"All of the money that is made on everything that is sold will be made on the backs of the poor and the working class," he wrote, describing a Romney/Ryan administration. "Take away social security, take away healthcare, privatize education, cut food assistance programs, outsource another war, eliminate services for women and then hide your money in off-shore accounts so we never know how much you made! In the Romney/Ryan administration, whatever you can pay for, you will be able to get, period."
Simmons is referring to Ryan's famed budget plan, which would convert traditional Medicare to a privatized vouchers program. That has outraged economic progressives, and Simmons was a supporter of the Occupy Wall Street movement when it broke out last year.
Continuing his note, Simmons wrote to Romney and Ryan, "I heard you both talk about poverty today, but we all know that if you take control of this country, you will eliminate every program we have that protects the most vulnerable. You are two men who will destroy our people and laugh all the way to the bank with your rich friends. I pray this will never happen."
Many others in Hollywood reacted similarly to the selection, including Alec Baldwin, who tweeted, "Another center-right Republican Pres'al candidate tries to burnish his right wing cred with a fringe right running mate. #RyanisPalin," while
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)