Ryan Gosling Had 13 Scorpion Jackets For 'Drive' (Video)
The star, who told Conan O'Brien he hopes the character will become a Halloween costume, sported a distinctive white satin bomber for most of the movie.
Ryan Gosling had his reasons for making his violent homage to John Hughes' Pretty in Pink, Drive... namely that he'd always wanted to be in a John Hughes movie with a "head smashing."
The actor was very involved in the making of the film, serving as its star, an executive producer and also got to choose director Nicolas Winding Refn (though he told Conan O'Brien on his TBS late show that the first meeting did not got well).
On of Drive's most prominent images was a very unique white satin jacket with a scorpion embroidered on the back. According to Gosling, there was a reason for that. "I always wanted to make a character that people would go out for on Halloween and so I'm really crossing my fingers on this one," revealed the actor before he gifted O'Brien with his own, brown version.
The film's costume designer, Erin Benach, recently revealed that the actor was very involved in the jacket's design.
"Ryan had been really inspired by these 1950s Korean souvenir jackets," Benach told Grantland. "He had bought one on his own and was wearing it around. ... So we built it piece by piece. We knew the collar had to be able to pop up, we wanted the knit around the wrists and waist to be 100 percent wool as opposed to stretchy nylon. We wanted every element to be perfect. We went through 15 or 20 iterations until we got it right. Which was down to the wire — about an hour before shooting!"
Benach also revealed that when all was said and done, there were 13 versions of the fashion piece made for the star during filming.
And, fans of the jacket may not have to wait very long to own their own version. "You just might be able to find them online soon," teased Benach.
Watch Gosling's Conan appearance below.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)