Sony Nabs Ryan Murphy Musical Comedy With Cameron Diaz, Beyonce Attached
Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon and Andy Samberg round out the "One Hit Wonders" cast, though official deals have yet to be inked.
Sony Pictures has preemptively picked up One Hit Wonders, a pitch for a musical comedy from Glee co-creator Ryan Murphy that had Cameron Diaz, Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon, plus Beyonce and Andy Samberg attached to star.
The plan is for Murphy to direct the movie after he completes the AIDS drama The Normal Heart. He will write the script with Ian Brennan and Brad Falchuk.
Diaz, Paltrow and Witherspoon are to play singers who had a few hit songs in the 1990s but have fallen by the way side since, and then team up to in an attempt to find new glory.
Sources caution that although the actors are attached, no deals are made with them. Whether all the cast makes it in front of the camera will depend on the script and availability, but Murphy has a good track record of attracting top talent. His Normal Heart, for example, has Julia Roberts, Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo, Matt Bomer and Jim Parsons to star.
Sony had no comment on the acquisition of the pitch.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR