It’s Official: Broadway’s ‘Spider-Man’ Delayed Until February 7

 Sara Krulwich/The New York Times

 The trouble-plagued Broadway production of Spider-Man Turn off the Dark has delayed its opening night until February 7, according to a release from the production company.

The original opening night was January 11.

Lead producer Michael Cohl said in a statement: “Due to some unforeseeable setbacks, most notably the injury of a principal cast member, it has become clear that we need to give the team more time to fully execute their vision."

"Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark is an extremely ambitious undertaking, as everyone knows, and I have no intention of cutting a single corner in getting to the finish line,” he added.

The Hollywood Reporter said earlier this week that the $65 million Broadway production was going to be delayed once again.

But despite technical glitches and actor injuries (villainess Natalie Mendoza received a concussion after being struck in the head by equipment backstage; she returned Wednesday; a flying performer broke both his wrists while rehearsing), news about the daring stunts has only fueled interest in the production.

During its first week of previews, the show grossed $919,457 from five performances at the theater. That’s 98.2% capacity at an average ticket price of $97.11. Three previews were cancelled; had the show played a full eight performances, it could have made nearly $1.5 million.

comments powered by Disqus