Anti-Merger Protestors Target SAG, AFTRA Headquarters (Photos)
The group, which was composed of about 25 SAG and AFTRA members opposed to the merger, carried signs, blew whistles and forcefully put forward objections to the merger on Friday.
A group of members opposed to the planned merger of SAG and AFTRA protested Friday outside the Los Angeles building that houses the headquarters for both actor guilds.
The group, which was composed of about 25 SAG and AFTRA members opposed to the merger, carried signs, blew whistles and forcefully put foward objections to the merger, which has been approved by the boards of both guilds but must still be greenlit by members. While support for the merger is widespread, some believe the combination would damage SAG and AFTRA health plans and weaken SAG by combining it with a weaker union.
"I would not buy a house or automobile without knowing what the terms are," said Hector Herrera, a SAG and AFTRA member who is active on a number of guild committees, referencing the fact that the shape of the new pension and health plans will not be known for some time. Those health plans are separate from the guilds and will be dealt with after the combination.
SAG Hollywood members have voted for pro-merger candidates in the past four election cycles, for instance, as has AFTRA. And both SAG President Ken Howard and AFTRA leader Roberta Reardon praised the proposed merger at the SAG Awards earlier this month.
More to come ....
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Experience The Controlled Chaos Behind Cuba Gooding Jr.'s 1997 Oscars Acceptance Speech
- John Gallagher Jr. On The Upcoming Final Season Of 'The Newsroom'
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Gedeon Luke Keeps the Soul Train Moving ; Viv and the Revival Breaks Your Heart
- Comcast To Charge Insane Amount For A Single Season Of 'House Of Cards'