SAG/AFTRA Merger Vote Announcement to be Live Streamed
The announcement will cap a month of balloting – and may conclude 80 years of on and off efforts.
The results of the SAG/AFTRA merger vote will be announced Friday at 1:00 PT / 4:00 pm ET and live streamed at http://www.sagaftra.org/ – a campaign website that will presumably become the online home of the new union if the merger passes.
Ballots were mailed to 131,000 members of one or both unions on Feb. 27 and are due back at the Seattle-area offices of Integrity Voting Systems tomorrow morning. The merger process began in late 2010 – or mid-2008, if measured from the initial formation of the pro-merger Unite for Strength slate . . . or in the 1930s, if measured from the formation of SAG and AFTRA-predecessor AFRA, whose creation independent of Actors Equity even then raised questions as to whether performers ought to be represented by a single union, not two or three.
Tomorrow, SAG and AFTRA voters will give their answer, and three unions may become two, and perhaps ultimately one.
Bookmark The Hollywood Reporter’s Labor Page for the most in-depth coverage of entertainment unions and guilds.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR