SAG 'unanimous' on skipping Golden Globes

Empty

STRIKE ZONE: LATEST NEWS AND UPDATES

Related story: Talk about a party-pooper

UPDATED 6:35 p.m. PT Jan. 4


NEW YORK -- The Golden Globes saga took another step Friday toward what increasingly looks like a starless conclusion.

SAG released a statement that conversations with members had resulted in the collective decision not to cross the picket line.

"After considerable outreach to Golden Globe actor nominees and their representatives over the past several weeks, there appears to be unanimous agreement that these actors will not cross WGA picket lines to appear on the Golden Globe Awards as acceptors or presenters," SAG president Alan Rosenberg said, noting that SAG "applaud(ed)" members for the decision.

The statement wasn't a surprise given SAG's support of the strike. Perhaps the bigger news came with the backstage battle that appears to be waging, as well as the likely outcome of that struggle.

Sources say the HFPA has in the past few days been pressing NBC not to air the telecast and had been hoping to convince the network before the end of the week. The HFPA hoped that a private ceremony would have prompted the WGA to drop its picket plans and in turn lead to SAG change its tune on star attendance.

But NBC has declined the HFPA's request -- continuing a firm strike policy also evident in the return of Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien to the airwaves -- and the network says it's still planning to go ahead with the Globes telecast Jan. 13.

Insiders say that NBC's stance is what prompted the SAG response, as well as a WGA West announcement that followed soon after that it still planned on a picket.

In a surprise announcement, a number of prominent talent publicity firms, including BWR, 42 West and Stanley Rosenfield, said Friday that their clients in particular would be no-shows.

"After much discussion by our clients, we have concluded unanimously that the actors we represent will not cross the picket line out of respect for the WGA membership. Our clients are extremely grateful to the Hollywood Foreign Press and would love the opportunity to be recognized for their work but will only do so in the event that NBC and Dick Clark Prods. reach an interim agreement with the WGA for the Golden Globes," the publicity firms -- which also included IDPR, Imagine, Patricola Lust, PMK/HBH, Seltzer and True Public Relations -- said in a joint statement.

The HFPA expressed disappointment and said it expects to have a "resolution" Monday but was vague about what that meant.

Meanwhile, Dick Clark Prods., which has said that it has offered terms to the WGA similar to those in the guild's Worldwide Pants deal, also jumped into the fray. It released a statement saying that it "has reached out to the WGA on numerous occasions, from the very beginning of the WGA strike, and offered to enter into an interim agreement similar to the agreement reached by Worldwide Pants" and was "disappointed that the WGA has refused to bargain with us in good faith."

It also noted that it was not a member of the AMPTP.

If there's no further movement, NBC could still seek to call off the Globes at the last moment; one observer noted that it was easier to yank a telecast than schedule one. The network also could try to postpone the Globes, possibly to a date later in the month before Oscar nominations are announced on Jan. 22.
comments powered by Disqus