'Salt' continues strong Hollywood opening run
Jolie appeals extends to men, women, genre
NEW DELHI -- Angelina Jolie had her biggest opening in India with “Salt” which collected about 78 million rupees ($1.67 million) over the three-day weekend after it opened July 23, according to Mumbai-based Sony Pictures India.
“Salt” was released with 464 prints in English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu.
Recent Hollywood releases have had a good run here reflected in titles such as Warner's “Inception” which grossed about 75 million rupees via 300 prints in multiple languages as it continues its run into its second week.
Sony also had a strong opening with “The Karate Kid” which collected about $ 1 million during its opening weekend which is still running in its seventh week.
“Salt” has done great business thanks to Angelina Jolie’s appeal with both women and men and the spy genre, which has always appealed to Indian audiences. In fact this looks like it could be the highest-grossing, female-led Hollywood film in India,” said Sony Pictures India MD Kercy Daruwala.
Sony's next release is the Adam Sandler comedy “Grown Ups” on August 13 while this weekend sees the much-awaited release of “Eclipse” via PVR Films.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)