Sam Champion, 'Good Morning America' Weather Anchor, Is Gay and Engaged
Buried in a New York Times story about another wedding, the longtime ABC employee says he's due to wed his partner in January.
More good news for the Good Morning America family: They're gaining a new member.
Sam Champion, the morning news progam's weather anchor, is marrying his partner, Brazilian fine arts photographer Rubem Robierb, in January. ABC made the announcement after a New York Times article about the wedding of MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts' wedding quoted Champion making first public mention of the impending nuptials.
The "announcement" is similar to the low-key way The Big Bang Theory Emmy winner Jim Parsons came out this summer, with mention of his partner also buried in a Times article. Credit Zachary Quinto for starting the oh-by-the-way coming-out trend when he discussed his sexuality for the first time in a New York magazine profile.
Also this summer, Anderson Cooper acknowledged that he is gay with a letter to Daily Beast columnist Andrew Sullivan, who published it online.
Champion, who worked for ABC's local New York affiliate's Eyewitness News before getting called up to the national morning news program, had long been rumored to be gay. In 2008, Bravo's Andy Cohen let it slip that that was the case, but Champion had never confirmed it until now.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Lindsay Lohan Misses Her AA Meeting, Blames Paparazzi On Premiere Of OWN Series (VIDEO)
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed