Samuel Goldwyn Films Acquires 'Sacrifice' (Cannes)
Firm will release the action drama -- about an orphan avenging his family's death -- in the U.S. later this year.
CANNES -- Samuel Goldwyn Films has acquired U.S. distribution rights to Chen Kaige’s Sacrifice, an action drama about an orphan who is raised to avenge the death of his family.
The film, which was No. 1 at the Chinese box office for more than two weeks when it opened in December and went on to gross more than $30 million, stars Ge You and Wang Xue Qi and is based on Orphan of Zhao by Ji Jun-Xiang, which is set during the Yuan Dynasty. It was produced by Chen Hong and Qin Hong.
Goldwyn will release the film, which debuted at the Berlin Film Festival and is screening at the Cannes Market, later this year.
Peter Goldwyn, vp, acquisitions, negotiated the deal with Gary Hamilton and Lina Marrone from Arclight Films’ specialty Asian label entitled Easternlight Films, headed by Ying Ye Best.
“I was completely mesmerized by this film – the action, drama and setting were captivating. It is beautifully directed by Chen Kaige with extraordinary performances by Ge You and Wang Xue Oi. As soon as I watched it, I knew we had to have it,” Goldwyn said.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR