Santa Monica Shooting: 4 New Developments
The gunman has been identified and was reported to be previously hospitalized for mental health issues.
On Saturday, authorities are piecing together the events that occurred a day earlier during the Santa Monica shooting rampage that left five people dead, including the gunman.
At a news conference, Santa Monica police chief Jacqueline Seabrooks described the shooting as premeditated and said that the gunman was nearly 24 years old, the Associated Press reported.
Seabrooks said that, because President Obama was only miles away at a fundraiser luncheon, authorities had lots of resources available to them during the incident. Here are four other developments that emerged on Saturday:
1. The gunman, his father and a victim have been identified.
Law enforcement sources told The Los Angeles Times that the gunman was named John Zawahri and that his father, Samir Zawahri, was the owner of the burned down house in Santa Monica. One of the gunman's victims was identified by KTLA as Carlos Navarro Franco, 68, from West Los Angeles.
2. The gunman suffered from mental health issues and was hospitalized previously.
A law enforcement official told CNN on Saturday that the gunman was hospitalized years ago in a mental health facility after talking about harming other people. The cable news network did not have any additional information about the exact time of his incarceration or release.
3. More details about the shooter emerge.
ABC 7 reported that a neighbor described the gunman as an "unemployed man who lived with his mother in Mar Vista." The local news station also posted a photo from Saturday's news conference that showed the equipment he was carrying. The image shows knee pads, several cases of ammunition, and an additional weapon.
4. The woman who was forced to drive the shooter to the college tells her story.
While driving in Santa Monica, Laura Sisk, 41, was told by the the gunman to drive him to the community college campus. "He told me to pull over," she recalled in an interview with The Los Angeles Times. "He insisted I get out of the car and pick up his bag -- I think it was full of ammunition -- and insisted I drive him." She added: "He said he'd let me go if I didn’t do anything stupid."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR