Sarah Jessica Parker Talks Modern Motherhood at Women At NBCU Event (Exclusive Video)
The "I Don't Know How She Does It" star was the keynote speaker at the event held on Tuesday in New York City.
Sarah Jessica Parker was the keynote speaker at the Women at NBCU's "Power of The Purse" breakfast in New York City on Tuesday. Bravo’s Andy Cohen was on hand to conduct a live Q&A with the film star, as well. The event explored what it’s like to be a 21st century mother and how companies can reach them.
“My life requires travel or odd public presentation, or, you know, speculation about personal things,” Parker says of her life as a mother. “But who I am as a mother, who I am as a wife, is very, very similar I think to millions… of women working in and outside the home."
When it came to marketing to today’s mom, Parker suggested that “People respond to truth rather than an attempt to shake them down.”
Parker also says she can see how her Sex and the City character, Carrie Bradshaw, was chosen most by participants in a Women at NBCU study for being the fictional character they relate to most.
“Despite the more superficial things that were fun and that were the sort of soufflé of the show,” Parker says. “It was her incredibly intimate relationships with her women friends. It was that necessity in her life, the reliance that these women had on one another, and how she honored it, and how flawed she was, and how contrite she was when she disappointed them.”
Among other things discussed during the live Q&A, Cohen played a round of word association with Parker. Watch The Hollywood Reporter’s exclusive video above.
In addition, NBC News’ Andrea Mitchell moderated a panel on the event’s theme, “marketing to the 21st century mom.” Panelists included Vinit Bharara, Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer, Diapers.com; Linda Sawyer, CEO, N.A Deutsch Inc. A Low & Partners Company; Julie Eddleman, Marketing Director, North American Media & Shopper Marketing, Proctor & Gamble Co; Melissa Lavigne-Delville, VP of Trends and Strategic Insights, Integrated Media at NBCUniversal.
Women at NBCU is an ad sales, marketing and research initiative, which helps to create custom solutions for advertisers to connect with female consumers.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting