THR Emmy Roundtable: 6 Drama Actresses on Death Threats, Post-Baby Auditions
THR: Scandal has had a lot of success engaging viewers on Twitter. Kerry, do you feel that the personal involvement with fans is a good thing?
Washington: Yeah. I mean, you read the good stuff. … But I don't tweet about my personal life. I don't tweet things that are about me.
THR: Do the rest of you feel pressure to interact with fans in that way?
Britton: I'm starting to, a little bit.
Moss: I had to have someone explain to me what the hashtag was.
Britton: Oh, I still don't know what it is.
Potter: I'm thinking hash browns.
Mara: And on your show (to Washington), they have it on the bottom of the screen and in the middle of a dramatic scene, they'll be like, "Hashtag, 'Where's Tuley?' "
Moss: So the hashtag is the symbol?
Washington: It's like a Google search on Twitter.
Moss: OK, thank you.
Britton: So if you had your own Twitter account, it would be like, hashtag, and then your name?
Washington: No, that's an "at" sign.
Gunn: This is so strange, I had no idea!
Washington: I work with a woman who is a digital social media consultant because I was terrified to go on Twitter. She helped me to figure out how to engage -- as an actor -- to promote the work without promoting myself. It's scary. It's this whole other universe.
Britton: The self-promotion aspect of it …
Washington: … is awful. It feels disgusting. So you want to feel like there's a purpose around it.
Britton: That's never what it's been about for me.
Washington: I'll give you her number!
THR: A final question. If you could be on any other show in the history of TV, what would it be?
Potter: Three's Company, hands down. I could play Chrissy's sister. Or anyone.
Britton: Mary Tyler Moore. Such a perfect show. They were all such amazing, rich characters, and she got to be so badass, funny, smart and in charge of her life. It was just a great inspiration.
Mara: Mine's not as inspirational, but I was really obsessed with My So-Called Life. And it was only on what, like, one season? Which is my dream, because I don't want to have any job commitment, and so that would be perfect!
Gunn: I'm sort of thinking The Wire.
THR: So something light and totally different from Breaking Bad. (Laughter.)
Washington: More drugs!
Gunn: It's good to be bad, you know? [I'd] definitely be the bad guys.
Mara: Yeah. Hashtag bad!
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game