Scarlett Johansson's New Band Hit With Cease-and-Desist

AP Images
Scarlett Johansson

The actress' group released its first song last week.

Scarlett Johansson's newest music venture is not getting off to an auspicious start.

The actress' band The Singles, which debuted its first song last week, has been hit with a cease-and-desist order, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. The cease-and-desist was filed by a previously existing band with the same name, fronted by singer Vincent Frederick.

Johansson's group, which also includes musicians Este Haim, Holly Miranda, Kendra Morris and Julia Haltigan, released the tune "Candy" last week on SoundCloud. The band is signed to Federal Prism, a label run by TV on the Radio's Dave Sitek.

Rabeh Soofi, an attorney who represents Frederick's band, told THR that her clients "issued a cease-and-desist demand to representatives of Scarlett Johansson, Este Haim, Julia Haltigan, Holly Miranda, Kendra Morris and Dave Sitek, demanding that they discontinue using 'The Singles' as a band name and mark, given its continuous use by my clients The Singles for more than 15 years."

"Since 1999, The Singles have produced an extensive repertoire of albums, LPs, EPs, singles, and have performed their music countless times, nationally and internationally, including European tours in 2004, 2005, 2008, and a Japanese tour in 2004, all using their band name 'The Singles,' " Soofi continued.

In response to the legal action, Federal Prism founding partner Jeff Bowers told THR, "I'd like to take the vinyl and t shirts marked as 'The Singles' and sell them all and donate all of the money to the Los Angeles Children's hospital."

This is not Johansson's first time dabbling in music. She has released a solo studio album in 2008, along with a 2009 album Break Up that featured collaborations with Pete Yorn.

Feb. 25 at 8:10 p.m. Updated with Bowers' comment.

Email: Ryan.Gajewski@pgmedia.org
Twitter: @_RyanGajewski

comments powered by Disqus