SEAL Team Six Book Sees Print Run Quadrupled in 24 Hours; Novel Series Under Way (Exclusive)
Interest continues to skyrocket in the group behind the killing of Osama bin Laden Sunday in Pakistan.
Interest in a new book about Navy SEAL Team Six continues to skyrocket in the wake of the killing of Osama bin Laden. SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper is being rushed into stores this week ahead of its originally scheduled May 24 publication date.
A rep for publisher St. Martin’s Press says it has almost quadrupled the print run to 70,000 copies to meet the demand. On Amazon the book has moved from ranking No. 20,000 to the No. 5 bestselling book for the web retailer. CAA was brought in last week to handle movie rights.
The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively that the coauthors Howard Wasdin, a member of SEAL Team Six in the '90s, and Stephen Templin, a Navy vet and professor at Meio University in Japan, are now at work on a series of SEAL Team Six novels.
(Those aren’t the only books in the works poised to be published on the topic: Dalton Fury, the author of Kill Bin Laden, which Hurt Locker director Kathryn Bigelow is adapting for the screen, also wrote a novel about the military’s special forces. BLACK SITE: A Delta Force Novel will be published by St. Martin’s Press in February 2012.)
Since bin Laden’s death, Wasdin has appeared on Good Morning America, Hannity, and Laura Ingraham’s radio show. He will be on a Dateline NBC special Thursday night. New York Times chief book critic Michiko Kakutani is now planning on reviewing the book for the paper.
Trident Media Group agent Scott Miller, who negotiated the book deal, said, “I think that the book SEAL Team Six has taken hold with the public because it is about such a secretive, elite unit within the military. It's a group that, because of recent events, people are now hearing a little about for the first time. They want to know more about ST6, and they know this book will shed a lot more light onto this subject matter.”
St. Martin’s Press describes SEAL Team Six as a “dramatic, behind-the-scenes chronicle [that takes] readers deep inside the world of Navy SEALs and Special Forces snipers." Wasdin served in SEAL Team Two (SEa And Land teams) during the first Gulf War before being promoted the Team Six, the most elite SEAL group. During the Somalia conflict he was tasked with finding warlord Mohammed Farah Aidid. He retired from the military in 1995 after being injured in combat.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- French Musician SoKo On Kissing A Stranger In 'First Kiss'
- 'Die Hard' Has Finally Been Recreated With Pugs And Teddy Bears
- Behind the Scenes of Bad Words with Actor & Director Jason Bateman and Actress Kathryn Hahn
- Billy Joel Forgets The Lyrics To 'We Didn't Start The Fire' In The Most Awesome Way Possible