Senator Secures Turnaround in 2010
German film group books operating profit after major restructuring.
COLOGNE, Germany - Senator Entertainment, the troubled child of the German film industry, appears to have turned the corner, booking an operating profit of $2.2 million (€1.5 million) last year after losing $5.7 million (€ 3.9 million) in 2009.
One-off losses attributed to the collapse of TV production subsidiary Pro TV and currency fluctuations meant Senator still ended 2010 in the red, with a net loss of $730,000 (€500,000) but CEO Helge Sasse said the company will be back in black this year.
Things are looking rosy for Senator thanks to Colin Firth-starrer The King's Speech, which has earned upwards of $22 million so far at the German box office.
Sasse also firmed up the company's financials with a new $10 million line of credit with Israeli bank LEUMI and extended Senator's lucrative DVD licensing deal with German home entertainment group Universum.
But Senator will need a few more hits if it's David O. Russell's Oscar-winner The Fighter has not been a knockout for the distributor, earning less than $1 million and Senator has few surefire titles in its eclectic upcoming slate, which includes Ben Affleck-starrer Company Men, the romantic comedy A Little Bit of Heaven starring Kate Hudson and Gael Garcia Bernal and Swedish crime thriller Easy Money.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)