Several pilots land directors
Simon West, Jace Alexander among the hired helmers
Simon West, who last year helmed the pilot for Fox's action drama "Human Target," is back on pilot-directing duty this season with NBC's drama "The Cape," about a former cop-turned-masked hero.
Meanwhile, in a sign that broadcast networks are looking to emulate the light, quirky feel of USA Network series for their crop of shows, a pair of hot USA pilot directors -- Jace Alexander and Bronwen Hughes -- are making a transition to broadcast pilots.
Alexander, who helmed the pilots for USA's hits "Burn Notice" and Royal Pains" as well as the pilot for Syfy's breakout dramedy "Warehouse 13," is tapped to direct ABC's drama pilot "Edgar Floats," about a police psychologist-turned-bounty hunter. Hughes, helmer of the pilot for USA's "White Collar" and the cable net's latest pilot, "Facing Kate," is on board to direct another ABC hourlong pilot, the dramedy "Cutthroat," about a Beverly Hills mom running a drug cartel.
David Semel, director of the pilot for NBC's "Heroes," is in familiar territory this season, helming the pilot for ABC's drama "No Ordinary Family," about a family with special powers.
Yves Simoneau, director of the pilot for ABC's "V," also is back at the helm for ABC's Romeo and Juliet drama "Matadors."
Veteran pilot directors Peter Horton and Gary Fleder also are returning for helming duties on ABC's "True Blue" and the untitled Richard Hatem crime drama, respectively.
And Bill D'Elia is reuniting with frequent collaborator David E. Kelley as director of Kelley's NBC pilot "Kindreds."
Additionally, "Hotel Rwanda" helmer Terry George is directing NBC's untitled John Eisendrath legal drama, and "CSI" director-producer Ken Fink, who directed the pilot for CBS' upcoming "Miami Medical," has been tapped to helm the CBS drama pilot "The Odds" while also landing a commitment from the network to direct another pilot next season.
In other behind-the-scenes additions on pilots, "CSI" maven Carol Mendelsohn has joined CBS' drama "Defenders" as executive producer, Ian Biederman has come aboard the Eye's hourlong "The Odds" as executive producer/showrunner, and the Chernin Co. has become a co-producer on Fox/20th TV's drama "Breakout Kings."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty