'Sex and the City 2' Debuts Atop DVD Sales Chart
Once again, Warner Home Video has shown that Sex sells.
The studio included Sex and the City 2 on its fourth-quarter DVD/Blu-ray Disc slate, just as it did in 2008 with the original film, and again captured the top spot on the national home video sales chart its first week out.
Sex pushed Paramount/DreamWorks’ How to Train Your Dragon to the No. 2 spot on the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart for the week ending Oct. 31, ending the family film’s two-week reign at No. 1.
And even though just 18% of Sex and the City 2's first-week sales tally came from Blu-ray Disc, the film also debuted at No. 1 on Nielsen VideoScan’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc chart.
Finishing a close second on the Blu-ray Disc chart was Universal Studios Back to the Future: 25th Anniversary Trilogy, despite a hefty list price tag of nearly $80.
The trilogy also debuted at No. 5 on the overall sales chart, behind 20th Century Fox’s Predators at No. 3 and Music Box Home Entertainment’s The Girl Who Played With Fire at No. 4.
How to Train Your Dragon retained its grip on top of Home Media Magazine’s rental chart for the second consecutive week, largely because Paramount is one of just two studios that don’t impose a 28-day rental window on Netflix and Redbox, which have a combined share of about 60% of the rental market.
Sex and the City 2, only available at brick-and-mortar rental stores, debuted at No. 10 on the rental chart.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!