'Shahs of Sunset:' Unfair Labor Practice Charges Filed Against Bravo After Striking Editors Dropped
IATSE says the network is violating labor laws
Labor union IATSE Local 700 is coming to the defense of Shahs of Sunset editors who were dropped Sept. 26 following a strike of the show's crew.
The union has filed charges with the the National Labor Relations Board against Bravo on the editors' behalf.
"It is a violation of the National Labor Relations Act for an employer to retaliate in any way against employees for their exercising their rights under the law," IATSE said in a statement.
The strike began Sept. 10, with editors picketing outside the offices of Shahs producer Ryan Seacrest Productions. The crew was seeking the right to unionize.
Bravo took over production of the series on Sept. 26 after RSP said it could no longer work with the striking editors. At the time, sources told The Hollywood Reporter Bravo had opted not to rehire the editors for the fourth season of its reality show. The strike has delayed the show's season premiere, which was originally slate for Oct. 13.
Bravo declined to comment.
A Ryan Seacrest Productions spokesperson said there was no further comment beyond a statement it issued Sept. 26.
"Bravo controls the rights to Shahs of Sunset, and as a result, makes all final decisions regarding production and budgetary matters," that statement read. "Ryan Seacrest Productions (RSP) has deferred to the network¹s decision for Bravo to assume all remaining production duties on Shahs of Sunset. RSP will be unable to continue working with the editors that were previously engaged on this production. We appreciate the passion, commitment and contributions these editors made to the fourth season of Shahs of Sunset, and we're extremely proud of show, and applaud all the great work that the cast, producers and crew have made to date. "
Sept. 30, 4:08 p.m. Updated with Bravo declining to comment.