Shaw Media Proposes Vancouver 24-Hour News Channel
The Canadian broadcaster is expected to launch British Columbia's first all-news cable channel in summer 2012.
TORONTO – Canadians prefer U.S. network dramas and comedies over homegrown fare in primetime, but they look to local TV stations to monitor breaking news.
So Shaw Media is the latest domestic broadcaster to unveil plans for a 24-hour cable news channel, this time for Vancouver.
The application to the CRTC, the country’s TV regulator, said the yet-to-be-named news network, to launch in summer 2012, will provide top local, national and international headlines round the clock.
The proposed all-news channel will use the Shaw Media's Global Television news-gathering operation in Vancouver that is part of its national news division.
Rival Rogers Media recently launched CityNews Channel, a 24/7 Toronto news channel that competes against Bell Media’s CP24 news channel, which has been on air in Canada's largest TV market for ten years.
And Montreal-based broadcaster Quebecor Media last year converted a Toronto TV station into Sun News Network, a right-leaning national all-news channel.
Canuck broadcasters, reserving their biggest acquisition dollars for U.S. network scripted and unscripted series, spend heavily on domestic and international news-gathering operations, not least to satisfy local programming obligations.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game