Sheryl Crow To Pen Broadway Score
The singer will write music and lyrics for Barry Levinson's upcoming musical version of his 1982 film, "Diner," opening in the Fall of 2012.
Sheryl Crow is set to make her Broadway debut next fall in the musical stage-version of Barry Levinson's 1982 movie Diner.
But, technically, she won't be on stage. The singer has signed on to write the music and lyrics for the upcoming show. Levinson, both an Oscar and Emmy winner, will write the production's book, while Tony Award winner Kathleen Marshall is set to direct.
"I was already a huge fan of Diner when Barry first approached me about writing a score for a theatrical re-telling of his film," Crow said in a statement. “Writing the score for Diner has been the most challenging and fulfilling experience of my career. I have always been a devotee and student of musical theater, and I am very excited to be making this journey with Barry and Kathleen.
The 1982 film, starred Kevin Bacon, Mickey Rourke, Steve Guttenberg, Paul Reiser, Daniel Stern and Ellen Barkin, and centered around a group of high school friends now in their 20's who are struggling with their transition into adulthood in 1959 Baltimore.
"Diner was a pivotal moment in my career, and since then I have continued to live with the characters, realizing there is much more to their story,” Levinson said. "I'm excited to be embarking on this stage version, which affords me the opportunity as a storyteller to expand on my original vision and let the characters express their innermost feeling and thoughts through song."
The show will first open in a yet-to-be-determined city in the summer of 2012 before its debut on the Great White Way.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!