Shia LaBeouf Sent Real Sex Tapes to 'Nymphomaniac' Director Lars von Trier (Video)
The actor says he gave the Danish helmer actual clips of himself and his girlfriend, stylist Karolyn Pho, to land his role.
Shia LaBeouf continues his TMI -- er, Lawless -- media tour with his latest revelation that he sent actual sex tapes of himself and his girlfriend to Lars von Trier to land his role in the Danish director's upcoming movie Nymphomaniac.
"I sent him videotapes of me and my girlfriend having sex, and that's how I got the job," the former Disney Channel star told Chelsea Handler during an interview that aired Wednesday night on E! Entertainment's Chelsea Lately. (Watch video of the interview below.)
It's unclear whether LaBeouf, who is dating stylist Karolyn Pho, was joking, but he's previously said the sex scenes in the erotic two-part drama will be the real deal.
"[The movie] is what you think it is," LaBeouf recently told MTV News. "It is Lars von Trier, making a movie about what he's making. For instance, there's a disclaimer at the top of the script that basically says we're doing it for real. Everything that is illegal, we'll shoot in blurred images. Other than that, everything is happening."
Nymphomaniac, which marks Von Trier's first film since 2011's Melancholia, will chronicle the sexual adventures of a woman (Charlotte Gainsbourg) from her youth through age 50. Stellan Skarsgard plays her husband, and Nicole Kidman has suggested she might have a small role in the film, which goes into production next month.
As for why he wanted the part, LaBeouf told Handler: "I don't know what it's gonna be until I get out there. I know he's a very dangerous director, I know we're trying to do something different. It's not your typical film. It's about what it's about."
LaBeouf, who recently went full-frontal for an artsy Sigur Ros music video, made his sex-tape revelation on the heels of a USA Today interview in which he said he dropped acid to prepare for a key scene in his upcoming crime comedy The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman, which is in preproduction.
"There's a way to do an acid trip like Harold & Kumar, and there's a way to be on acid," LaBeouf said. "What I know of acting, Sean Penn actually strapped up to that (electric) chair in Dead Man Walking. These are the guys that I look up to."
LeBeouf also has said he was high one day on the set of Charlie Countryman, slated to be released at Sundance next year.
And, as The Hollywood Reporter previously reported, LaBeouf, best known for his roles in the Transformers movies and the latest Indiana Jones installment, has traded standard studio fare for indie films.
"I'm done," he declared. "There's no room for being a visionary in the studio system. It literally cannot exist. You give Terrence Malick a movie like Transformers, and he's f---ed. There's no way for him to exist in that world."
Talking about the indie film world, LeBeouf added: "These dudes are a miracle. They give you the money, and they trust you -- [unlike the studios, which] give you the money, then get on a plane and come to the set and stick a finger up your ass and chase you around for five months."
Lawless, a bootlegging drama set in Depression-era Virginia, also stars Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Guy Pearce, Jessica Chastain and Mia Wasikowska. The movie hit theaters Wednesday.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!