Shia LaBeouf Moves Anti-Trump Project to Albuquerque

Anthony Harvey/FilmMagic/Getty Images
Shia LaBeouf

"From the outset, the [New York] museum failed to address our concerns about the misleading framing of our piece as a political rally, rather than as a participatory performance artwork resisting the normalisation of division," the actor says.

Shia LaBeouf and his fellow artists have moved their anti-Donald Trump project west after it was closed down in New York over fear of violence.

New York City's Museum of the Moving Image closed the performance art earlier this month, citing "serious public safety hazards."

Co-creators of the piece — featuring the actor and others chanting "He [President Trump] will not divide us" in front of a live camera — are Luke Turner and Nastja Säde Rönkkö.

On Saturday, LaBeouf, in a joint statement posted on his website, said the New York museum's lack of commitment to HEWILLNOTDIVIDE.US was "damning" and the project had relocated to the El Rey Theater in Albuquerque, N.M. 

"From the outset, the museum failed to address our concerns about the misleading framing of our piece as a political rally, rather than as a participatory performance artwork resisting the normalisation of division," according to the statement. "Nonetheless, there had been no incidents of physical violence at the site of our project that we are aware of, nor that we had been informed of at any stage by the museum."

LaBeouf was arrested in late January after he was allegedly involved in an altercation with another man during the performance art project.

comments powered by Disqus