A-list actors who endured negative public scrutiny, and how they fared
Robert Downey Jr.
He earned an Oscar nomination in 1992 for "Chaplin," but the decade's second half included many arrests and rehab stints. A guest-starring gig on "Ally McBeal" repositioned him in the public eye and earned him an Emmy nom, but more drug arrests got him fired. After rebuilding his film career sober, he emerged in 2008 with the title role in "Iron Man," which grossed $585 million worldwide, and another Oscar nom for "Tropic Thunder."
After "Beverly Hills Cop," "Coming to America" and "The Nutty Professor" turned Murphy into a '90s boxoffice powerhouse, he was stopped in 1997 by the LAPD for picking up a prostitute. Murphy quickly was released and never stopped working, but he dropped his edgy persona and focused almost entirely on family-oriented fare like "Doctor Dolittle." He received an Oscar nom for "Dreamgirls" in 2007, but his latest pics have been disappointments.
He came out of nowhere in 1994 with "Four Weddings and a Funeral," which grossed $244 million worldwide. The following year he was arrested in Los Angeles for lewd conduct with a prostitute. Grant returned in 1999's "Notting Hill," which grossed $363 million worldwide. Since then, he has tweaked his good-guy persona to play cheekier characters in such films as "Bridget Jones's Diary" and "About a Boy."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)