Showrunners 2012: 'Hawaii 5-0's' Peter Lenkov
Lenkov calls "getting a season three pick-up [and] potty training my three-year-old" his biggest accomplishments.
From their obsessive rituals (Peppermint Patties! Oatmeal! Bruce Springsteen!) to the parts of their jobs they hate most (killing characters off, dealing with agents), TV's most influential writer-producers featured on The Hollywood Reporter's annual list of the Top 50 Showrunners come clean about the people, things and quirky habits that keep them -- and their shows -- alive.
The show that inspired me to write:
Lenkov: Magnum P.I. In fact, there was this incredibly cool episode entitled "Did You See the Sunrise" written by Don Bellisario that turned on the lightbulb. Got me dreaming, thinking I'd like to write something like that some day.
My big break:
Lenkov: Selling a spec called Demolition Man to Warner Bros.
My TV mentor:
Lenkov: Larry Hertzog, Joel Surnow, Pam Veasey... there's been many amazing folks who've influenced me over the years.
My proudest accomplishment this year:
Lenkov: Work-wise: Getting a season three pick-up. Personal: Potty training my three-year-old.
My toughest scene to write this year:
Lenkov: McGarrett sitting down with his mom and asking her why she faked her own murder 20 years ago.
The most absurd note I’ve ever gotten:
Lenkov: Ask me when I'm retired.
The aspect of my job as showrunner that I’d rather delegate:
Lenkov: Where to hold the wrap party.
My preferred method for breaking through writer’s block:
Lenkov: Looking at a mortgage statement.
If I could add any one writer to my staff, it would be:
Lenkov: Shane Black.
The show I’m embarrassed to admit I watch:
Lenkov: Real Housewives of Orange County.
The three things I need in order to write:
Lenkov: Coffee. Final Draft. A smile from my wife.
If I could scrub one credit from my resume, it would be:
Lenkov: Just one? Seriously? Can I have two or three?
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Lindsay Lohan Misses Her AA Meeting, Blames Paparazzi On Premiere Of OWN Series (VIDEO)
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed