Showtime to Keep Current Originals Off Netflix in New Streaming Deal
Once the new agreement kicks in this summer, the first two seasons of "Dexter" and "Californication" will not be available on Netflix's streaming service anymore.
NEW YORK -- CBS Corp.'s Showtime will keep current original series off Netflix's streaming video service when a current deal expires this summer.
The change that is part of a new arrangement means that no Dexter and Californication episodes from previous seasons will be available on Netflix anymore as has been the case under the current arrangement, which covered the first two seasons of the shows.
Episodes of current originals will be on Showtime's authenticated broadband service Showtime Anytime service though.
Crain's New York Business first reported that Showtime may keep older seasons of current signature shows off the streaming service.
The new Showtime-Netflix deal will include the streaming availability of shows that are no longer on Showtime though, such as The Tudors and Sleeper Cell, which previously wasn't on Netflix.
"Current and past seasons of our original series will be available to our authenticated subscribers via our TV Everywhere service Showtime Anytime," a Showtime spokesperson said. "A number of Showtime original series will continue to be available and stream on Netflix, including The Tudors and Sleeper Cell, among others."
Financial terms weren't available.
The rejigged content deal comes after CBS and Netflix recently struck a deal that also gives the latter the rights to stream such library shows as Star Trek, Family Ties, Cheers and Frasier, but doesn't include current series.
Netflix, meanwhile, has moved into premium networks' turf with the acquisition of 26 episodes of drama House of Cards.
Georg Szalai contributed to this report.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!