Showtime Renews 'The Borgias'
3:55 PM PDT 4/25/2011 by THR staff
The series, starring Jeremy Irons, debuted to strong ratings earlier this month.
Showtime has ordered a second season of The Borgias, Showtime entertainment president David Nevins announced Monday.
The series, which debuted earlier this month, delivered the best ratings for a new Showtime drama series in seven years and attracted 3.71 million viewers across multiple platforms (On Demand, replays and DVR) during its premiere week.
Season-to-date, The Borgias is pacing ahead of The Tudors' fourth season, the series' highest-rated season.
Ten new episodes of The Borgias -- which stars Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo Borgia, the manipulative patriarch of the Borgia family -- will go into production this summer to air in 2012.
"The Borgias has become Sunday night appointment viewing for a broad swath of our subscribers," Nevins said in a statement. "Neil Jordan's cleverly crafted tale of a 15th century papal family has proven quickly addictive. It's a tribute to his incredible skills as an auteur and to the extraordinary cast led by Jeremy Irons that this show fits so seamlessly into our line-up of quality shows."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR