Showtime renews 'Tara,' 'Nurse Jackie'
Both series returned with solid ratings Monday
Showtime has renewed its Monday night block of "Nurse Jackie" and "United States of Tara" for third seasons.
The pickups come after both shows returned strong for their second-season debuts in the ratings this week, with "Jackie" having its most-watched episode ever.
"Edie Falco's portrayal of the fierce 'Jackie' is another extraordinary example of her range and brilliance, and recent Emmy and Golden Globe wins for Toni Collette in her tour de force role as a woman with multiple personalities put her in a class by herself," said Robert Greenblatt, president of entertainment at Showtime. "Strong women will continue to rule on this network for a long time to come."
The duo has helped expand Showtime's original programming beyond the usual premium cable domain of Sunday nights, and both shows have received strong praise from critics.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'