Sid Ganis Named Advisor to Dolby Laboratories
The former Academy president's role will include supporting Dolby’s cinema business and expanding its industry relationships.
Former Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences president Sid Ganis has been named a strategic advisor to Dolby Laboratories.
He will advise Dolby’s senior management on initiatives in the creative, production, and exhibition communities.
“Dolby is a special company which has had a profound impact on cinema,” Ganis said in a statement. “I’m thrilled to be part of an effort to revolutionize the movie experience again. I believe the right innovations make cinema magical and look forward to applying my background and enthusiasm to Dolby’s efforts.”
Ganis has held positions at Sony Pictures Entertainment, including president of worldwide marketing for Columbia TriStar, vice chairman of Columbia Pictures, and president of marketing and distribution for Columbia Pictures; as well a posts at Lucasfilm, Warner Bros., Paramount, and Twentieth Century Fox.
In addition to serving as Academy president, Ganis has served four terms as first vice president and has been a member of the AMPAS Board of Governors representing the public relations branch.
He has sat on the boards of directors for Marvel Entertainment, Center Theatre Group in Los Angeles, and the University of California, Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive.
Dolby is perhaps best known for audio and surround sound. It does business in areas of entertainment including cinema and consumer electronics.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack