‘Silver Linings Playbook,’ Denmark’s ‘The Hijacking’ in Marrakesh Festival Lineup
Directors Darren Aronofsky, Jonathan Demme, James Gray and Zhang Yimou are among the talent expected to attend the 12th annual Marrakech fest.
Award-season favorites including David O. Russell’s Silver Linings Playbook and Paul Andrew Williams’ Song For Marion are heading to the 12th annual Marrakesh International Film Festival, which runs in the Moroccan capital Nov. 30-Dec. 8.
Silver Linings and Song for Marion will both screen in Marrakesh’s out of competition section, alongside other high-profile titles such as Zhang Yimou’s The Flowers of War starring Christian Bale; Ginger & Rosa from British director Sally Potter featuring Elle Fanning and Christina Hendricks and the Bollywood blockbuster Jab Tak Hai Jaan with Indian superstars Shah Rukh Khan and Anushka Sharma.
The festival’s competition line up has a stronger focus on first-time directors and art house fare and includes the critically acclaimed Danish drama A Hijacking from Tobias Lindholm, Ziad Doueiri’s Tel Aviv-set The Attack and Una Noche from first-time director Lucy Mulloy, which picked up the best new narrative director honor at its premiere in Tribeca earlier this year.
Other directorial debuts in competition at Marrakech this year include Fatal from Korean director Lee Don-ku; the Czech drama Flower Buds from Zdenek Jiarasky; Little Lion from France’s Samuel Collardey; the German black and white feature Oh Boy! by director Jan Ole Gerster; Mushrooming, an Estonia feature from helmer Toomas Hussar and Touch of the Light from Taiwanese filmmaker Chang Jung-Chi, which will open the festival.
Marrakesh has invited an impressive lineup of veteran directors as well to add experience to the mix, with names such as Darren Aronofsky, James Gray, John Bormann, Emir Kusturica, Benoit Jacquot, Matteo Garrone, Zhang Yimou, Jonathan Demme and Brillante Mendoza set to attend.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!