Simon Cowell's 'Food Glorious Food' Fails to Appeal to U.K. Taste
Co-produced by his Syco TV, the show's first episode drew fewer than 3 million viewers, the lowest-ever U.K. debut for a Cowell show.
LONDON – Simon Cowell's reality TV cooking show, Food Glorious Food, debuted on commercial broadcaster ITV with fewer than 3 million viewers Feb. 27, his lowest-rated launch ever.
The ITV show, described by Cowell in an interview with British TV trade Broadcast as "like Antiques Roadshow combined with food," kicked off its evening debut with an average of 2.7 million viewers, a 12.7 percent share of the audience between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m.
It details the search for the best British food cooked by the public and is hosted by TV regular Carol Voderman.
The preceding ITV show, the perennial soap opera Coronation Street, ended the slot preceding the Cowell-produced show with more than 8 million viewers.
Food Glorious Food attracted critical ire, with many reviewers calling it derivative and in the same vein as BBC2's Great British Bake Off, which ended its last series run topping 6 million viewers last year.
But there is a crumb of comfort in the show's low ratings debut.
Cowell's high ratings grabbers Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor both launched with fewer than 5 million viewers from their Saturday night debuts before going on to build headline-grabbing numbers as the shows played out.
And when launching, Great British Bake Off garnered just 2.1 million viewers in August 2010.
Food Glorious Food is co-produced by Cowell's Syco TV with Optomen Television.
Optomen's previous cookery shows include programs with Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'