Simon Pegg to Star in 'Absolutely Anything'
The comedy feature's voice cast boasts Robin Williams alongside Pythons' John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones and Michael Palin.
LONDON – Simon Pegg has signed to star in Monty Python founding member Terry Jones' sci-fi comedy feature Absolutely Anything, alongside a voice cast boasting the dulcet tones of fellow Pythons John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and Robin Williams.
The movie, produced by U.K. banner Bill & Ben Productions, details the story of a disillusioned school teacher who suddenly finds he has magical powers, bestowed upon him by some aliens.
The aliens will be voiced by the Pythons while Williams will voice the abductee's hilarious and faithful dog.
Additional casting is under way.
Pre-production begins in February, with shooting scheduled for the following month.
Pegg said: "As someone whose love of comedy was hugely informed by Monty Python, the chance to work with Terry [Jones] was a gift. Meeting your heroes is one thing. Working with them is something else."
Jones described Pegg as "absolutely perfect" for the role.
The film is being produced by Ben Timlett and Bill Jones with Mike Medavoy, who previously worked with Jones on Life of Brian and Eric The Viking, who said he is “thrilled to be reunited,” and will serve as exec producer with Chris Chesser (The Rundown).
Timlett said: "We are extremely excited that Terry Jones’ and Gavin Scott’s script will soon be brought to life. Their collaboration has created a laugh-out-loud storyline, wonderfully quirky characters and dialogue that not everyone will be expecting."
Sales, production and finance company GFM Films is handling worldwide sales and the AFM saw them close pre-sales in Australia, Scandinavia and Germany among others.
GFM Films partner Fred Hedman said: "Distributor reaction to the script and creative elements at the AFM was terrific -- a very positive start."
Production finance has "been secured," the producer said.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David