‘Simpsons’ Inspiration Margaret ‘Marge’ Groening Dies
Matt Groening’s mother, whose late husband was named Homer, was 94.
Margaret “Marge” Groening, the mother of The Simpsons creator Matt Groening, died peacefully in her sleep April 22 in Portland, Ore., according to an obituary notice in The Oregonian newspaper. She was 94.
Her husband, cartoonist Homer Groening, died in 1996.
The names of Matt Groening’s parents (and those of his sisters Lisa and Maggie) make it obvious that the inspiration for Fox’s long-running Simpsons came from his family.
Margaret Groening’s parents met on a boat to America from Norway and settled in Everett, Wash. She married her high-school sweetheart Homer “because he made her laugh the most,” the obituary notes. She attended Linfield College and then taught English in high school.
Survivors also include her brother, Arnold; another son, Mark; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. Another daughter, Patricia, died in January of heart failure at age 69.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!